Boy Scout Fundraisers usually work well because of the quality of the scouts and the leaders who volunteer. But if you need to motivate your scouts before your scout fundraiser starts then you might want to tell them all about the great men who predated them and became Eagle Scouts.
A common definition for an eagle scout would be a boy scout who has earned many merit badges. It is the highest rank attainable for a boy scout. Another way of looking at an eagle would be hardworking, honest, passionate, patriotic, and has many leadership qualities.
When a boy scout has become an eagle it is usually a safe bet that he will grow up to one day become a great leader, whether it be politically, artistically, or a successful businessman. There have been hundreds of famous eagle scouts that have affected the way in which we live our lives.
• Bill Alexander, U.S. Representative from Arkansas
• Gary Anderson, U.S. Representative from New York
• Charles Bennett, U.S. Representative from Florida
• William Bennett, Former Secretary of Education
• Bill Bradley, Pro basketball star and U.S. Senator from New Jersey
• Milton Caniff, Comic Strip Artist “Steve Canyon”
• William Dannemeyer, U.S. Representative from California
• Arthur Eldred, (First Eagle Scout)
• Gerald Ford, 38th President of the U.S.
• Murphy J. “Mike” Foster, Governor of Louisiana
• James Lovell – Astronaut
• Richard Lugar, U.S. Senator from Indiana
• Sam Nunn, U.S. Senator from Georgia
• Ellison Onizuka, Challenger Astronaut
• J.J. Pickle, U.S. Representative from Texas
• Samuel Pierce, Former Secretary of HUD
• Harrison Salisbury, Pulitzer Prize winning Author
• William Sessions, Former FBI Director
• Steven Spielberg, Film Director/Producer
• Wallace Stegner, Pulitzer Prize winning Author
• Percy Sutton, Chairman of CBS John Tesh, TV Celebrity
• James Stewart – Actor
• James Brady, Former Press Secretary to President Reagan
• William C. DeVries, M.D., Transplanted first artificial heart
• Walter Cronkite – Journalist, T.V. commentator
• J. Willard Marriott, Jr., President, Marriott Corporation
• H. Ross Perot, Chairman, EDS Corp.
• Daniel J. Evans, Former US Senator and Governor of Washington state
These men are just a few of the famous eagle scouts who have changed our world. Take for example the famous Eagle Scout James Lovell. He was an amazing man who got to experience something that only a handful of people have done. He was an astronaut. He went to the moon and gathered information that has helped our world learn a little bit more about outer space. He is a leader, a husband, and a famous eagle scout. Our world has learned a great deal from him, just like they have learned a great deal from all of the rest of famous eagle scouts.
Use these men as examples of people who overachieve and challenge your scouts to hold record scout fundraising campaigns.